On the occasion of this year's Freedom Drive, ENIL is launching aProposal for a Resolution of the European Parliament on the effect of cuts in public spending on persons with disabilities in the European Union. This Resolution outlines measures that should be taken by the Member States, the European Council and the European Commission to ensure that cuts in public spending do not lead to further social exclusion and institutionalisation of people with disabilities. ENIL argues that doing so is everyone's responsibility under the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- If you are meeting your MEPs during the Freedom Drive, give them a copy of the Proposed Resolution and explain why their support is important;
- Lobby your MEPs – send them a copy of the Proposed Resolution and write a letter; explain in a meeting why they should support the Proposed Resolution. (You can find the names and e-mails of your MEPs here)
- Approach other organisations in your country and ask them to join your lobbying activities;
- Carry out awareness-raising activities among other people with disabilities and the wider public, on the effect of cuts on Independent Living;
- If you have been affected by the cuts, please let us know and we can bring this to the attention of MEPs during our lobbying activities;
- Check http://www.enil.eu for updates and other ways to get involved.
under point 11:
- Calls on the Council to accelerate negotiations about the Proposal for a Council Directive on implementing the principle of equal treatment between persons irrespective of religion, belief, disability, age or sexual orientation, aiming to extend the protection against discrimination to areas outside employment;
blocked directive since February 2010: