1. Independent living central in all relevant EU policy ENIL calls on the European Community to ensure that Independent Living is central in all relevant policies of the European Union, as expressed in the EU Disability Strategy, the Disability Action Plan and Article 19 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and its Optional Protocol. Independent Living is having the possibility to choose where and how one wants to live one's life, having control over needed services.
2. Updating of EU policy
ENIL calls for the updating of EU policy in consistency with the UN Convention: for example within the Employment Equality Directive of 2000 failure of reasonable accommodation constitutes discrimination. Inclusion of people with disabilities – not special solutions ENIL calls for the inclusion of people with disabilities and the abandonment of specialized solutions that lead to segregation. This means access to buildings and public transport and not specialized transport services or special entrances.
3. Timed and budgeted commitment of public educational investment policy, according to the principles of the UN Convention on Rights of Persons with Disabilities (Functional Diversity) and the Organic Law of Education. The promotion of the structural changes needed to guarantee free access to public education in equality for all children with functional diversity, with both material support and resources as necessary personal. The accessibility at school need to be provided to all kind of disabilities, including children with learning disabilities and autism.
4. De-institutionalisation – closure of institutions by 2020
We encourage the European Community to continue to assist the development of communitybased services to achieve de-institutionalization across Europe before 2020 through the stipulation of independent living in the EU budget and Structural Funds and with the ear-marking of funding for independent living.
5. Personal Assistance for all in need
We call for the implementation of our human right to a personal assistance service, fundamental to guarantee the enjoyment of Independent Living. This through an EU directive for Independent Living which incorporates access to personal assistance services in all EU member states.
6. Freedom of movement
We call for the opportunity to equally enjoy the right to freedom of movement with the portability of personal assistance services.
7. Independent Living in development programs
We call for an earmarking of 5% of EU development funding to go to the development of Independent Living programs in developing countries.
8. Full ratification of the UN CRPD
We call on the European Community to fully ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, to sign and ratify its Optional Protocol and for its articles to be implemented in EU legislation and policy. Incumbent in this is the application of pressure by the Institutions and representatives on member states to transpose the convention into law domestically as soon as possible
9. DPOs in policy-making
Disabled people and our organisations must be decisively involved at all levels of policy-making including planning, producing and implementation.
Nothing about Us, Without Us.